National Health Insurance Information for SLI students
- 성균어학원 한국어학당
All international students residing in Korea must register to National Health Insurance as of March 1, 2021 in accordance with Korean law. Korean government is obligated to protect foreign students from unexpected accidents and expensive medical expenses.
The students holding D-4-1 visa will be obligated to register for national health insurance 6 months after entering Korea.
Since the national health insurance coverage starts only after 6 months from entering Korea, Sungkyun Language Institute will continue the group enrollment for the private health insurance (KB Insurance). However, it is mandatory for students to individually pay for their national health insurance after 6 months of staying in Korea.
National Health Insurance Overview
1. Effective date: 2021.3.1.
-Korean Language Trainee (D-4-1 VISA): 6 months after one’s arrival date.
(Ex) Student who entered Korea on Sep. 1, 2020 will be automatically registered for National Health Insurance as of Mar. 1, 2021.
** When re-entering after leaving Korea for over 30 days, 6 months after the re-entering date
2. How to register: Automatic registration (No need for registration process)
3. Insurance fee: Monthly insurance fee is 39,540 won (based on 2021)
* Rate reduced by 70% in 2021, 60% in 2022, 50% in 2023
4. How to pay: The bill will be mailed to students’ Korean address reported at the alien registration. (The billing date of March is March 10 and payment deadline is March 25)
*Detailed insurance benefits and information can be found on the attached leaflet and it will be posted on the payment bill and on the National Health Insurance Service website.
National Health Insurance Service Customer Center (1577-1000)
Foreign language consultation (033-811-2000) or telephone to the competent branch